South Cambridgeshire Developing Leaders Programme
“Developing leadership to improve outcomes for pupils”
Good leadership in schools has a single aim: to improve outcomes for all pupils. The programme, run in partnership between Sawston Village College and the Eastern Leadership Centre (ELC) is now in its second year after a hugely successful first year. It is designed to develop leaders’ ability to have the greatest impact on pupils’ experience and achievements in school.
Format of the programme
Participants learn about leadership through leading. Participants develop their leadership skills through action, enquiry and consultation. The programme is built around participants’ leading on real projects, actions and enquiries relevant to their work within their schools.
Participants themselves shape the direction of their professional learning, with third parties serving as a resource for them to draw upon as they develop their skills and work towards achieving the aims of their project. Experienced leaders and teacher-trainers from the ELC will play varying roles of coaches, mentors and catalysts, to support, guide, facilitate and advise participating leaders, to help them in pursuance of their projects.
Who will be attending?
Participants are from both primary and secondary schools. Some have existing middle leadership roles; others do not. The programme is designed for current and prospective leaders within their school who show the potential and drive to lead real change in their school and in their colleagues. The participants on the course are already, or will become through their participation in the programme, role models to others in how to lead effectively, regardless of their job title or position.
Participants undertake real-world leadership actions and enquiry, in order to:
- have an immediate impact on the teaching and learning and pastoral care in their areas of responsibility
- develop existing middle leaders’ ability to improve practice and attainment in their departments or schools, through more effective leadership
- prepare aspiring middle leaders for the challenge of middle leadership, by introducing them to the principles and practices of effective leadership
- improve existing and aspiring middle leaders’ professional knowledge relevant to improving teaching & learning, assessment practice and attainment in their departments/schools
- increase leadership capacity in their school, to enable more distributed leadership
- move participants towards a culture of leadership rather than management and implementation.
How to Book
The full programme costs £275 per person for secondary schools and £200 for primary schools. This includes four Core Workshops and up to three twilight sessions, chosen by participants to suit their particular projects, as well as all course materials and refreshments. Please click here for further information on the workshops and twilight sessions.
Places are limited. To book a place, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Sawston Village College on 01223 712777 and ask to speak with James Woodcock or Helena Marsh.